Thursday 11 April 2013

Day 6 - A taste of Sonoma

Today I hit the physical wall. I had planned a ride followed by a run but the run turned into wine tasting which was very un-athlete of me but so very nice.

The ride

I grabbed the TT bike today to test the new handlebar installation. I planned 60-70k up to Sonoma lake and back. What I didn't know was that at about 25k the rout turned vertical. Not exactly what I wanted on the TT bike (Betty Ford). The climb was steep with a few spots that levelled off. The views of the lake and hills were gorgeous just like previous days. I think about three cars passed me once I reached the lake so, I was alone for most of the ride. After about 3000 feet of climbing I turned around with plans on extending the ride to 100k or so. This plan ended when I hit the next hill there was nothing left in the legs. So much so that I cancelled my planned run for the afternoon. Good thing is that the handlebars stayed in the same position.

The New Plan

Well at 2:00 in the afternoon and nothing that you have to do and your in Sonoma.... WINE TASTE!! Not to bore you with details but I went to tastings at J, Rodney Strong and Seghesio. The last two provided hardier reds so they were my favourites. All the same I took 7 bottles away with me.

Moment of zen for the day: Why don't cyclists in this area wave to one another like they do back home? I was 1 for 12 today for wave backs. Not very friendly like.

Tomorrow it's a run in the morning (yes a run). Followed by a drive down to Camarillo to seethe course for the next race. 6 or so hours of driving. Fun fun...















No comments:

Post a Comment