Monday 8 April 2013

Day 4 - The Hills of Sonoma

If its Monday its got to be Santa Rosa. After breakfast with a good friend who I hadn't seen in a few years I took my TT bike to the local bike spa (johnathan's bike shop). The TT bike handlebars are slipping if I hit a bump at speed. This is Argons top of the line E118. It has spent more time at the spa than on the road. The bikes name is Dr. Zarkov (Flash Gordon's spaceship) but, I think I may rename it Betty Ford. Jonathan did his best to lock the bars down. I'll give her a roll later this week to see.

Anyway, Jonathan gave me a ride to do in the area while he worked on my bike. The ride would take me up in the hills of Sonoma. I swung my leg over the Cav (an S-Works Tarmac signed by Cav himself) and head down hwy12 through the vineyards of Kenwood and Kunde and countless others. I diverted off hwy12 towards Glen Ellen a town and vineyard the same. Beautiful country this. Just past Glen Ellen the road became rough and I mean really rough. My computer attachment to my handlebars broke free and skidded across the road. Two minutes later I flatted the rear tire. Next I was going to need dental work!!

Fortunately smoother roads was not far ahead. Back onto hwy12 then up Cavedale Rd. Cavedale is rough too but it doesn't matter with the 6-10% grade switchbacks going up you have plenty of time to avoid the badness. The climb is only about 7k. The views are amazing, vineyards all the way. You can see downtown San Francisco when you look to the south. Apparently Robin Williams has a house on this road but I have no idea which one it might be. After the climb you end up on trinity Rd for the downhill. What a downhill it is. Steep and filled with curves. Awesome! Instead of heading back to Santa Rosa I did another loop.

Great day out there today. So far its on my recommendation list but bring lots of tubes!
Tomorrow will be the famous route of Geysers. The wine is awesome here!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment