Sunday 14 April 2013

Day 10 - Camarillo Duathlon 5th Place Overall

That hurt!  They all hurt!

I raced the Camarillo Duathlon today.  It was a typical set up of two 5k runs sandwiching a 31k bike.  The weather was very un-California like today.  Or at least how I hoped it would be like today.  We raced in about 15 degree weather with fog and light rain. Like the June Gloom of Southern California only colder.  Start time today would be 8am.  The warmup combined with the 1 hour drive from LA meant a 5am wake up call this morning.

Start Finish Line and Transition Area


The race course is flat.  Totally flat.  Should have made for some PBs for me in the run but until I get the results I'm not quite sure what I ran both 5Ks in but it looks like 19:50 and 21:40.  The Bike was around 49min add the transitions for a 1:31 total.

Results were better then I recalled!! 19:14, 48:53 and 20:30

http://results.active.com/events/2013-camarillo-duathlon-3/olympic

Two things affected this race for me.  One was that I lost track of how far I had actually run and thought the run that I was pacing for 5k might actually be 7k.  So I throttled back a bit.  It wasn't until I finished the first run that I knew it was only 5k.  Crazy!  I just botched my distance calculations at the turnaround.  The second was that the light rain made the asphalt like a skating rink.  I could not believe how slippery it was.  The corners were a gong show on the second lap. People were slow or going down; a lot.  A bit sketchy on my little Argon Rocket.  Thank God I kept the rubber side down!!

Finishing and Happy to do so...


All in all I ended up in 5th place overall.  There was some conjecture that some of the racers didn't complete the entire bike course.  Not sure about this amongst the top 10 finishers but I do know some cut the course short. There were no officials or timing mats on the bike course.  Very easy to do one lap of the lollipop course.  Just have to see what happens with the official results are published.

A good day for me.  I ran and rode my plan. Best of all My Mom, Brother John and Sister In-Law Mercedes were there at the finish :)

My Mom and I at the finish